The International Betting Integrity Association (IBIA) received 40 suspicious betting alerts across nine sports in the first quarter of 2023.
This was down by 16.6% compared to the alerts IBIA recorded in Q1 2022 and 20% from the previous quarter.
Sport-by-sport, football generated the highest number of alerts at 15, representing 37.5% of the total. Tennis was close behind with 12, representing 30% of the total. Combined, football and tennis made up 67.5% of the alerts in the first quarter.
Table tennis accounted for four of the alerts. Basketball and esports generated two alerts each, while volleyball, boxing and snooker each accounted for one alert.
A total of 24 alerts took place in Europe. Six took place in Asia, while four took place in Africa. North America and South America accounted for two alerts each.
Two esports alerts were not included in this breakdown as IBIA said it was unclear where the alerts took place.
IBIA noted a particular trend in Spain. Eight alerts took place in the country during the first quarter, which was 20% of the total alerts in Spain for all of 2022. Four of these alerts were in football and four were in tennis.
During the quarter, Simplebet and Fanatics joined IBIA.
IBIA also renewed its partnership with H2 Gambling Capital during the period and Stats Perform received IBIA’s mark of data quality and integrity for the third year in a row.